top of page

WI Meeting September 2023

Did you know that Justices of the Peace and/or Magistrates have been in England and Wales since 1195 with the first woman JPs sitting in 1919? I certainly did not until this month’s WI Meeting. And did you know that there are only 69 magistrates in East Sussex (excluding Brighton) who sit at Hastings – the only magistrates court in East Sussex (again ignoring Brighton)? All these facts and more were given to us in the form of a quiz and discussion by our speakers, two of our East Sussex magistrates – Ali and Lynne. We learnt that anyone between the ages of 18 and 75 can become a magistrate if, and only if, they can show maturity and sound judgement and they are a citizen of either England or Wales – Scotland has another system. It is a voluntary role that asks of each magistrate 13 days a year and 6 hours of continuing training. Magistrates can sentence people up to a maximum of 6 months. All trials start in the magistrates’ courts with an incredible 95% completed at this level leaving the remaining 5% to be sent on to the Crown Court. Next month our speaker will show us how to write a story in 20 words. I am hoping that I will be able to share with you some of these. So, watch this space. And, if you would like to try our WI and help us write a story or two, please have a look at our pages on Fairwarp.org.uk and contact either Tracy Atchison, or Caty Worlock Pope. You will find our contact details on the website.


Caty



17 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page