Fairwarp Village Sign was forged by blacksmith Mr. Payne of Rushlake Green. It was erected on a Sussex Oak Post by Reg Coleman, the husband of a founder member of Putlands Cottages, who also laid the local stone base. The County Council gave their permission for it to stand on their ground and on May 23 1953, Eleanor, Countess Castle Stewart (Chairman of East Sussex Federation of WIs) of Old Lodge, Nutley unveiled it in the presence of a large gathering of WI members, their relatives and friends. Among them were nine founder members of Fairwarp WI.
It was designed by WI member Mrs. Nancy McNair in memory of Ada Barchard, the first President and Founder Member of Fairwarp WI. The picture below shows the drawing she composed for the blacksmith. Miss Nelly Barchard (Ada’s sister) expressed a wish that it should be designed to fit into the Forest background.
The money was donated by WI Members and Friends of Fairwarp.
Note there are no trees behind the sign.
A temporary sign (designed by Heather Dewhurst) to commemorate Fairwarp WI's Centenary is currently being displayed on Fairwarp Village Green sign - see image slideshow below.