The village War Memorial had recently been refurbished, with a generous grant from the Maresfield Parish Council as well as from private donors, and now contains the name of Aaron Russell, who gave his life on the Somme in October 1916 but who was omitted from the Memorial when it was first erected. On Sunday 8 November the memorial was re-dedicated in a brief ceremony. Many villagers turned out for the ceremony in the church yard - in household groups, spacially distanced of course.
After the re-dedication of the memorial, the list of the Fairwarp Fallen was read and the national two minutes’ silence at 11.00am observed. Linking the ceremony with the Airman’s Grave, attendees also heard a short piece written during the Second World War by the Fairwarp poet John Pudney, who served in the RAF.
See images in the slide show below